Monday, March 1, 2010

Stumped Again

Today I again went over the task of going line by line on the 1870 and 1880 census for Harrison County Texas. I think if I don't do this at least once every three or four months I will lose my own personal Guiness record in searching for Mariah Taylor and her son Joseph in the same household.
I was told by more than one person to look outside the box for her. I know that all the information that I have all say she only had one son. The 1900 census and the 1910 census state that. Oral history has also stated that Mariah only had one son. But....I went ahead and looked at all the Mariah's/Maria's and followed them the best I could. I elimated all the ones that I found in and around Marshall. I even looked in Gregg and Panola Counties as well as Caddo Parish in Louisiana. Either all the census records show that both Mariah and/or Joseph was to young or to old.
I cruised Family Search for a Death Certificate and found none. I guess the next stop would be Footnote. Mabe just mabe they may have picked up a missing one from somewhere.

5 comments:

sjtaliaferro said...

Isn't it the most frustrating thing when you can't find your ancestors when you know they should be there? I have a similar case with my Taliaferro/Tolivers. I can't find them anywhere in the 1900 census; then they show-up in 1910 right where they should be. It's driving me CRAZY!!! Good luck with your search.

Sandra

Felicia R Mathis said...

Think outside the box! Remember birthdays are always a guess, so look again at those that come close they are there. Don't give up, we are Guided by our Ancestors.

Ms Vicky said...

Thanks Sandra and Felicia for the vote of confidence. I'am to far gone to give up now. LOL

Sherry - Family Tree Writer said...

Hi there! I hope you get lucky, looking for her. I couldn't find my ancestor Elcy Ames Rose.

I finally, accidentally, found her under Eliza RASE on Ancestry. Looking at the original, you can see how the transcriber made that error.

Also, during the same time period, I couldn't figure out if I had the right Abraham Rose family. Here he was with a wife named Alfreda, then there he was with a wife named Jane. Then I saw him on the census with Afreda J., then found them in someone's family tree, and learned her name was Alfreda Jane. I'm hoping something of this helps you. So many have a first name they don't like, or it's the same as their father's or mothers, or grandmother's and so they 'go' by another name!

Good luck, and yes reading Felicia's advice about the birthday, those are easily OFF by a whole year, depending on whether they'd celebrated their birthdays yet.

Godspeed & God Bless,

Ms Vicky said...

For sure Sherry! I actually think her BD is off five or ten yrs. Thanks for the God Speed and God Bless.